Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Pancakes

As far as I could remember, I started knowing pancakes ever since I was a child. Our daily breakfast did not necessarily consisted of local delicacies. Every now and then Mak would changed the menu as other family members or herself wished.

Mak's version of pancake is a bit, I can say, simple. The ingredients consist of few tablespoons of wheat flour, an egg, a cup (or more) of water, a teaspoon of baking powder, a tbs of sugar and a pinch of salt. It is best eaten hot with a spread of butter or peanut butter according to one's preference.

As I grew up and staying apart from my parents and being single, I never made this pancake on my own. Admittedly Im not really keen of pancakes or western breakfast. 'Lidah Melayu' as they said. However my mind changed when I got married. One day my husband told that McDonalds was offering new breakfast menu, ie hot cake (=pancake). He brought the whole family to have breakfast at McD.

The moment I had my first bite, I love it so much. Its tenderness made me one is never enough. I began searching for the recipe on the internet. I found one in allrecipe.com, tried and proven tasty!

Yesterday we once again head our way to McD to have hot cake meals. Unfortunately hot cakes were sold out. When asked whether price would be reduced in the event they're sold out, the attendant replied no. How could that be?!!Feel like writing a complaint to KPDNKK!

Eventually this morning, the idea of improvisation of pancake recipe struck my mind. Being dutiful and pitiful to husband, I began preparing for pancake. The only difference is that, I altered the recipe by separating the yolk and the white. I beat the white until fluffy and only added to batter at the last stage. The result : fluffier, more tender and cottony pancakes I ever had!Set aside McD hot cakes!~

Below is the recipe :

Source : www.allrecipes.com
Method : allrecipes and myself

Ingredients :
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour ( I used wheat flour)
3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder ( I used only 1 1/2 tsp as I dont want it to taste bitter)
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon white sugar
1 1/4 cups of fresh milk
1 egg (separated as mentioned above.)
3 tbs butter, melted

Method :

1. In a large bowl, sift together flour and baking powder. Add salt and sugar. Make a well in the center and pour in egg yolk, mik and melted butter.

2. Beat egg white until fluffy. Pour into the batter and mix.

3. Heat frying pan (i used non stick). Pour or scoop the batter into pan. Brown both sides and serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment